WagTree Global Give Network℠ HUB: A progressive web application takes advantage of the latest technologies to combine the best of web and mobile apps. Think of it as a website built using web technologies but that acts and feels like an app. Recent advancements in the browser and in the availability of service workers and in the Cache and Push APIs have enabled web developers to allow users to install web apps to their home screen, receive push notifications and even work offline.
Progressive web apps take advantage of the much larger web ecosystem, plugins and community and the relative ease of deploying and maintaining a website when compared to a native application in the respective app stores.
TOOLS of a Progressive Web App:
- Events: A complete events management tool that brings your event planning conveniently inside of your app!
- #Channels: A way for your users to see the content they choose to see. This makes it easier for you to target and communicate with different groups within your app. Channels can be public or private!
- User Uploads: A convenient way to get your users to share in the experience. Plus, when they do they also agree to let you use their content for your promotion!
- Photo Albums: You can create unlimited albums with photos uploaded from your users or those you provide!
- Volunteer Recruitment: Through our Get Involved section you can recruit volunteers to help out with your event!
- Polls & Surveys: Before your event, DURING your event, after your event. Imagine the power of allowing your users to weigh in on the experience from the same place they are receiving ALL of their updates.
- Social Hub: You can link up all your social feeds and they will automatically post here in chronological order making it easy for your users to stay in the know!
- Stories: You can post anything you want in stories including real-time updates or content that will get them excited. The sky is the limit!
- News: All your breaking news in one convenient place. Your users can read what others are saying and any announcement YOU make.
- Direct Messaging: Messaging: To individuals and ALL the communication channels you have created. Notify volunteers of changes, send a note to selected groups to tell them of a "last minute change", provide details to anyone you choose - it's all made easy with this tool!
- Manage Your Account: Change your password, subscribe to channels, and determine how often you want to be notified! (Note: You must be registered to access this!)
CHARACTERISTICS of a Progressive Web App: Link
- Progressive: By definition, a progressive web app must work on any device and enhance progressively, taking advantage of any features available on the user’s device and browser.
- DiscoverableL Because a progressive web app is a website, it should be discoverable in search engines. This is a major advantage over native applications, which still lag behind websites in searchability.
- Linkable: As another characteristic inherited from websites, a well-designed website should use the URI to indicate the current state of the application. This will enable the web app to retain or reload its state when the user bookmarks or shares the app’s URL.
- Responsive: A progressive web app’s UI must fit the device’s form factor and screen size.
- App-like: A progressive web app should look like a native app and be built on the application shell model, with minimal page refreshes.
- Connectivity-independent: It should work in areas of low connectivity or offline (our favorite characteristic).
- Re-engageable: Mobile app users are more likely to reuse their apps, and progressive web apps are intended to achieve the same goals through features such as push notifications.
- Installable: A progressive web app can be installed on the device’s home screen, making it readily available.
- Fresh: When new content is published and the user is connected to the Internet, that content should be made available in the app.
- Safe: Because a progressive web app has a more intimate user experience and because all network requests can be intercepted through service workers, it is imperative that the app be hosted over HTTPS to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.